The Australian government has prepared a special visa for students who want to pursue academic, vocational, or English language courses in Australia. With 43 universities for various subjects, the Australian government provides several student-friendly advantages to overseas candidates who want to study there.
The visa is called Temporary graduate visa subclass 485, or visa 485 – and it helps the students from outside work and study in Australia simultaneously. Keep reading this article for knowing the mistakes that cause a delay in getting the visa.
The Benefits Of This Visa
Before knowing the mistakes that can delay your dream education in Australia, let us know why the Graduate visa 485 is so popular among overseas students. The most apparent reason is the time limit can be anything from 2 years to 4 years (Hong Kong residents get five years) depending upon the education they apply for. In addition, the visa is famous due to the reasons mentioned below:
- You can temporarily work and live in Australia while studying.
- You can continue your stay in the country temporarily after study completion.
- Your direct family members can stay with you.
- You can work during your studies – however, the work timings would be for an indefinite period during the study halts and 40 hours every two weeks – on average, 20 hours per week during the study period.
- Depending on the course you are studying, your dependents can enjoy the same work rights as your visa entails.
- The visa allows for multiple travels in and outside Australia – however, the time away from Australia counts in the approved days.
The students would have to choose institutions registered in the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Similarly, students opting to study vocational courses will have to pick it from the government’s Skilled Occupation List (SOL) courses. To know more, you can contact the most experienced Immigration Agent Adelaide.
The Proof To Submit
Every information offered to the Department Of Home Affairs needs proof – documentary or otherwise. The evidence should directly substantiate the applicant’s claim, and submitting any misleading or false documents can lead to rejection of the request and a three-year ban. Here is the list of documentary proof you need to submit to the department with your application:
- Evidence of request for a skills assessment in the chosen profession in the SOL.
- Proof of request for an AFP.
- Age proof proving your age is less than 50 years.
- Confirmation of having the required level of English proficiency.
- Proof of finishing 2 –years of study and achievement of qualification within six months of visa application.
- Name, age proof, and employment status of the dependent persons.
- Proof of cover from an approved overseas insurance provider.
- Proof of qualifying the health, character, and non-debt requirement.
- Hold an authorized passport from the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, or Ireland to bypass the need to prove English proficiency.
- Proof of non-denial or non-deferral for a former visa.
It is better to hire a proficient and experienced Migration Agent Adelaide to correctly assemble and submit the required documents.
The Factors Causing Delay
As said earlier, any change or inappropriate document submission will delay the processing of the visa application. When you search for the best Immigration Agent near Me, you should choose someone who knows the in and out of the application process and can guide you in submitting the correct evidence. Some of the reasons the process gets delayed are listed below:
The choice of the correct stream
Australian Visa Subclass 485 have two primary streams – and the choice of the streams is essential. It would be best to look closely at the visa streams’ conditions because one wrong selection means a sure-to-be-refused visa application, which is costly and irreversible. Let us know the factors that determine the stream choice:
|Visa name||Stream Name||You should choose it if||Grant period|
|Temporary graduate visa subclass 485||Post Study Work Stream||You have accomplished a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Australia You applied on or after Nov. 2011 for the first time||2 – 6 years, depending upon the course.|
|Graduate Work Stream||You have concluded a trade permit, diploma or Bachelor in the last six months Your profession is on the skill list (SOL) You have prepared for a skills valuation You applied/got your first student visa on or before November 2011, and you accomplished a Bachelor’s degree or higher in the last six months.||Maximum one and half years|
It would be best if you choose your stream according to the given conditions.
Appropriate English language proficiency
Proficiency in the English language is a mandatory condition of the 485 visa – you can only bypass it if you have a legal and valid passport of the United States of America, Canada, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, or New Zealand. Otherwise, you have to show the following scores in the English language tests to get the Student visa:
|Visa Name||English proficiency tests||Minimum scores needed|
|Temporary graduate visa subclass 485||IELTS||The total score of no less than 6 with the lowest score of 5 for each of the four modules|
|TOEFL iBT||A total score of 64 as a minimum with the lowest score of Listening – 4 Writing – 14 Reading – 4 Speaking – 14|
|PTE||An inclusive score of minimum 50 with at least 36 for each of the four parts|
|OET||At least B in each of the four portions|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced Test||Collectively 169 minimum with at least 154 in each of the four test modules|
However, the student has to take the exam before applying for the visa for a maximum of three months. Your exam date should be before the application date – however, you wouldn’t have to show the results.
Applying for Australian Federal Police (AFP) clearance
You have to apply for a clearance from the Australian Federal Police (AFP) before applying for the visa. During the visa application, you will need to provide proof of AFP clearance request – failing which, the government will reject the permit outright. Moreover, you will need to choose the correct code of police clearance – for example; immigration purposes are code 33. To know more, contact the most informed Migration Agent Adelaide.
Presence of health insurance
The Australian government requires the presence of health insurance for the applicants of a 485 visa. It is another critical condition for the visa application. However, the type of visa will differ according to the processing stages of the pass. Here are the visa covers you will need in the separate phases of the application:
- At the time of application: You would need proof of health cover, such as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
- During handling: You will need to have insurance cover during processing – it can be OSHC.
- When granted: You will need to show an Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) after the application is approved.
- During the visa period: The visa rules need you to have insurance cover during the visa period – it can be an OVHC or OSHC.
If you do not have health insurance, you will face a visa rejection.
Taking Professional Help
Being a very popular visa, the Department of Home Affairs receives hundreds of applications for Visa Subclass 485 – so you need to submit a fault-free application on the first try. If you need help or information about any of the proceedings, you can always contact the most qualified Immigration Agent Adelaide.