Use keywords in the title, tags, and description
The title of a listing is the most important piece of information. It appears nearly everywhere: The front page of your shop, in search results, your shop stats, and in the link when you post a listing to Facebook.
The title is indexed by Google and other search engines, so words or phrases in the title are important for search engine optimization (SEO).
Research keywords to use in your title and tags. Keywords that include your item’s name, color, size, and style are part of an effective title.
The first words of a title are important for SEO. If those words include a common word or phrase, also include more specific keywords to help people find your items during searches.
In the Etsy search, a title with all nouns is ranked higher than a title with action verbs.
Include a good quality photo of your product on every listing
Good quality photos are crucial when it comes to selling on Etsy. Potential customers use photos as a determining factor when they’re deciding whether or not to make a purchase.
The more photos you have and the better they are, the easier it will be for customers to make a decision.
And when they make a purchase, you’ll get the sale!
When your page loads on Etsy, it is immediately apparent whether or not your photos are high quality.
The first thing a customer sees is your cover photo, so it should be a good representation of what you’re selling. The cover photo is also found in your Etsy shop’s banner, so it should be something that will make people want to click through to find out more about your shop.
Once you have potential customers clicking through, they’ll be viewing your individual listings. This is where a good-quality photo is especially important.
Customers will be looking at your photos to determine whether or not they want to click on your product.
Your chosen category will determine how you can arrange your photos, but there are some general guidelines that apply to all types of shops:
• Use a large, high-quality photo of your product front and center on your listing page.
• Also use smaller photos of the product from different angles. These are especially important if you have a complex or multi-piece item since every angle will show off a different detail.
• A good trick is to use a photo of the product from one or two inches away, so it fills the camera completely. This is especially important when you’re selling anything small, like earrings or necklaces.
• Make sure you have good lighting. Your photos shouldn’t be blurry or too dark.
• Don’t use big, chunky watermarks on your photos! Many people won’t click on the photo if they see a big watermark.
• Avoid white backgrounds, unless you’re selling fabric.
• If your product is black, it’s best to use a white background. The contrast will make the object pop off the page.
• Stay consistent with your formatting and layout.
• Get creative! You can arrange your product in a different way or try out different angles.
Once you have the photos, there are some other things you can do to help your page load quickly and efficiently.
- Have the right keywords in your title.
2. Use categories that are specific to your shop and products.
3. Have a short, interesting description that tells the customer what your product is about or why they should buy it.
4. Proofread and spell check it!
Link to your blog, Facebook page, Pinterest, and any other social media accounts in your “About” section.
List Related Products to help customers find what they’re looking For
Have you ever searched for an item on Etsy and found yourself scrolling through pages of listings? If so, the related products section may be just what you need to find the product you’re looking for. Using related products can help customers discover your items or find something that’s just right.
How does Etsy’s related products section work?
When you enter a search term into the Etsy search bar, our discovery algorithm calculates the best matches. The related products section looks for listings that are similar to the one you’ve searched, then recommends them to you. This means that related products are optimized based on what other Etsy members have searched. Related products are not automated recommendations, so there’s no guarantee that the items will be exactly right for you. Because related products are based on what other Etsy members have searched for, you may see a mix of items from both sellers and shops.
The related products section might not show all of your listings, but it will list the most relevant ones. If you have multiple listings for one item, such as a t-shirt with different colors, the related products section will only show one set of listings.
How do I opt out of Etsy’s related products?
How does Etsy’s related products section work?
It is possible to turn off the related products section in your shop. Keep in mind that opting out means you won’t show up in related products for other Etsy members who are searching for products like yours.
To opt-out of the Etsy related products section:
1) Log in to your Etsy account, go to Your Shop and click Shop Settings.
2) Click the Listings section and scroll down to related products. Under Show related products for buyers, select No thanks.
3) Click Save.
By opting out of the related products section, you could lose sales to other members who are showing up in the related products section of search results.
Do you have any questions about Etsy’s related products? Let us know in the comments!
- Make sure you have enough items for sale by updating your shop regularly with new items
It feels great to open your Etsy shop and see how many items you have listed. And it’s even more exciting when you check back a few days later to see how many items have sold. But what happens when you open your shop after being away for a few weeks or more? You might find that you only have a few items listed. And if that’s the case, your shop might not show up in Etsy search results for buyers who are looking for what you sell.
Sellers who don’t update their shop might lose out on sales. To make sure your Etsy search results are getting noticed, you should add new items at least every week. And if you have a few weeks where sales aren’t happening often or you can’t find the time, be sure to fill your shop with at least 20 new items before you update your shop again.
You can add items in several ways:
- Add the item directly from the Sell on Etsy app (iOS and Android)
- List new items through the Sell on Etsy website
If you need help with adding items, you should take a look at our article that explains how to add items to your shop.
And if you don’t have enough time to add items yourself, consider hiring someone to do it for you. This service can give your shop the extra boost it needs to stand out from other Etsy shops.
- Increase exposure of your listings by implementing an SEO -friendly shop
The best way to generate traffic is to use the Etsy search. If you optimize your shop for Etsy’s search algorithm, you’ll be one of the first listings that buyers see when they search.
Here are a few tips to improve your Etsy SEO:
- Use Etsy’s most popular tags
- Optimize your titles for search
- Increase the amount of text in your item descriptions
Etsy search is getting smarter all the time. This means that you need to work harder than ever before to rank your listings for relevant searches. You can read more about Etsy SEO services and how to rank higher on search result pages here.
- Create a great About page for your shop
To make sure that the items you sell show up first in Etsy search results, you should create a great about page where you can highlight what you sell and how it’s different from the items other shops offer.
When you write you’re about page, you should focus on what’s most important to your customers.
You can take some inspiration from other great Etsy shops for ideas about what to include on your about page.
To get started, take a look at our article that gives some helpful tips for creating an about page.
- Use Etsy’s free app to manage your shop from anywhere
The Sell on Etsy app makes it easy for you to keep your shop updated no matter where you are. The app also makes it easy for shoppers to find what they’re looking for when browsing your shop on the go.
To create an account and start using the app, go to Sell on Etsy’s website and sign up. Once you’re approved, you can download the app for free through iTunes or Google Play.
- To get your shop noticed Use Etsy website
Etsy’s website is another place where you can list your items. If you’re not sure how to get started, this article will show you how: “How to Add Your Etsy Listings to Your Website or Blog.”
- Make sure that your listings include all the important information about your items, including the price and quantity available. You also need to write a few sentences that clearly state what you’re selling. And you should always include at least one photo.
If you need some inspiration for listing your items, check out this article: “How to List Your First Item on Etsy Without Getting Tense.”
- Invest in a few SEO -friendly tools
SEO, or search engine optimization, is a great way to get your shop noticed by more shoppers. But you will need help if you want to make it work for your shop.
There are a few great tools out there that can help you optimize your Etsy shop:
This tool gives you information about the number of links that are pointing to your shop’s URL. Link building is one of the best ways to increase your page rank.
This is a great tool that will help you get your shop noticed by shoppers who use Google to search for items on Etsy.
Open Site Explorer
This tool allows you to see the links that are pointing to your shop’s URL. You can use this information to find new opportunities to get your shop in front of more shoppers.